Saturday, February 4, 2012

Type-based illustration ideas

...a bit late...but might as well post it anyway.

1. Portrait poster of local musician (cliche, but hey)

My first idea is to do a portrait of a local musician or band for a promotional poster (I do have a musician in mind, but I'd like to run the idea past him/take some photos before blurbing it here).  I like the idea of doing a local musician because 1) a musician would give me plenty of words to work with (lyrics), and 2) poster promotion is a neat, Seattle-musician niche that I would love to get into.

Here are a few examples/inspiration:

Steve Butabi
Yes...it's Erik Spiekermann. Ha. But you get the idea.

Matt Jamont
Portrait of Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots
...this is probably closer to what I had in mind...


2. Portrait of Arundhati Roy

Roy is an Indian auther, poet, journalist, political activist (well-known in a global context, probably not so much to an American audience). I adore her. I think she would also be a good figure for this project because Roy is most known for her political activism and out-spokeness in India. She is an advocate for marginalized groups world-wide...and basically has a lot say...finding relevant text to create the poster would be a cakewalk. 

Arundhati Roy

Inspiration....

Duraznita: DeviantARt
I love the idea of being super close-up and using color to describe Roy

sarthahirah: deviant art
An entirely different style, but I think still fitting considering the work for which Roy is best known.
3. Architecture: Clocks

Two possibilities here: 

        Either Musee D'Orsay (because I'm secretly French and am having an affair with Paris). Fingers crossed I can dig up my own photos of the clock that I took back in 2009...if not...something like this might have to work. But I don't want the people in it. 

Paul Warner
He actually has some other pics of the clock posted here that could work too.
OR...St. Mark's Cathedral...same idea, but local (could be used for promotional work for events such as Compline or Cathedrals through the Fremont Abbey...I could just do the Abbey for that matter). 

Seattle Daily Blog
Once again, I wouldn't actually use this image. I would either take a photo of my own, or request permission to use the image the Abbey currently uses for its monthly Cathedral concert promotion. 

Like this one, designed by Alexie Hoffman




No comments:

Post a Comment